With the winters finally arriving in town, we are going to have to up our cooking game because with the cold comes the hunger! It is also a very good time to eat healthy to boost your immunity; given the holidays dawning up you are bound to eat those little extra calories, so here is a recipe that's low on the calories and up on the health scale, my vegetable and corn soup recipe because nothing beats the wintry chills like a pipping hot bowl of soup!
Corn kernels (1 cup)
Onion (1 medium sized) (roughly chopped)
Ginger (1 inch piece)
Mixed Vegetable (1 bowl of finely chopped vegetables)
(Carrot, capsicum, cabbage, spring onion, corn kernels)
Coriander (1 tbsp) (finely chopped)
Milk (1 cup)
Black pepper Powder (1 tsp)
Soya sauce (2 tsp)
Green chilli (1-2) (finely chopped)
Water (2 cups)
Olive oil (1 tbsp)
Salt to taste
- In a deep bottomed pan heat 1 tsp of oil and saute the onion.
- Add the ginger and 1 cup corn kernels to the onions and cook for a minute on medium flame.
- Add the milk and water to this and cook the 10 mins or till the corn kernels are nicely cooked.
- Let this cool and run it in a food processor to get a smooth soup. Make sure to not have any chunks of ginger left behind. Grind nicely and set aside.
- Now heat the remaining oil in the pan and saute all the vegetables for 2-3 mins while stirring well. Add the soup to the vegetables.
- Now add the black pepper powder (freshly ground pepper is recommended), soya sauce, coriander, green chilli and salt.
- Cook for 5 mins on low flame and serve hot. Add some fried noodles before serving for that added crunchiness (don't add if you are watching the 'calories'). Enjoy :)