The craving for something chatpata is a never ending saga of my life, and my love for pakoda's is almost insatiable! And i think it wont be wrong of me to assume that many of you share this love interest of mine. So here is a chatpata pakoda curry recipe which is sure to satisfy your 'desi taste buds'.
Ingredients for pakoda:
Onion (1 small) (finely chopped)
Green chilli (2) (finely chopped)
Coriander (2 tbsp) (finely chopped)
Besan (gram flour) (1 cup)
Water (1/4 cup)
Ingredients for curry:
Onion (1 big)
Tomato (1 small)
Coriander (1 tbsp)
Red chilli powder (1 1/2 tsp)
Coriander powder (1 tsp)
Turmeric powder (1/4 tsp)
Garam masala (1/4 tsp)
Ginger Garlic paste (1 tsp)
Oil (2 tbsp)
Curry leaves (5-6 leaves)
Zeera (cumin) (1/2 tsp)
Rai (black mustard seeds) (1/2 tsp)
Method for pakoda:
- In a bowl mix all the ingredients well, you might need to adjust the water, the batter has to look like it looks in the picture.
- Heat the oil in deep bottomed pan on medium heat for deep frying.Once oil is hot enough, add spoonful of pakoda mixture. Make sure that oil is hot enough. If it is not hot enough then the pakoda will absorb too much oil. (Tip : to test if the oil is hot enough put a little bit of batter in the oil and if the batter floats the oil is perfect for your pakoda.)
- Fry it till the pakoda becomes golden brown on both sides. Turn it around while frying for even cooking.
- Fry a few pakoda's at a time,but do not over crowd them.
- Remove it on paper towel.
Method for curry:
- In a mixture jar grind together onion, tomato and coriander.
- In a saute pan add the onion tomato mixture and cook till the mixture starts turning golden.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste, Red chilli powder, Coriander powder,Turmeric powder, Garam masala and salt.Mix well.
- Cook well till the oil starts separating.
- Add a cup of water and let it simmer for 2 mins.
- Add the pakoda's just before serving the curry.
Method for tadka (tempering):
- Heat oil in a small vessel, after the oil is hot enough add the curry leaves, cumin and mustard seeds to the oil.
- Heat till the seeds start to crackle and pour it over the curry.
Serve hot with garma garam chapati's or steamed rice:)