Who doesn't love some fried chicken? How about some Indo-chinese version of it?? Chicken Lollypop is one of the most popular Indo-Chinese dishes, often served with the Indian version of schezwan sauce. It is one of those dishes which you would eat over and over again and still want more (given you have a good recipe or a good restaurant). A chicken lollypop is essentially a frenched chicken winglet marinated in a red chlli and garlic based marinade and fried to perfection.
It has actually been a tad-bit of hard work working on a perfect recipe for this; a recipe which would ensure the complete package of flavours and textures that this amazing appetizer is supposed to be; but the hard-work has finally paid off and this is the perfect recipe to get those succulent on the inside and crispy on the outside chicken lollypop's that are a treat in every bite!
Ingredients For Buttermilk Soak:
Buttermilk (1 cup)
(if you don't have buttermilk you can use 1/2 cup of curd mixed with 1/2 cup of water)
Chicken lollypop pieces (6)
One cup of buttermilk is equal to 240 ml.
Ingredients for marinade:
Schezwan sauce (5 tsp) (I used chings schezwan stir fry sauce)
Ginger garlic paste (1 1/2 tsp)
Soya sauce (1 tsp)
White Vinegar (1/2 tsp)
Tomato sauce (2 tsp)
Chaat masala (1/2 tsp)
Chicken masala (1/2 tsp) (optional)
Black pepper powder (1/4 tsp)
Butter (1 tsp)
Salt to taste. (Add very little as we have already soaked the chicken in buttermilk)
Ingredients for frying:
Maida (plain flour) (1/2 cup)
Corn flour (2 tbsp)
Salt (according to taste)
Buttermilk (1/2 cup)
Oil (for frying)
- Soak the chicken in buttermilk with a pinch of salt and leave it in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours.
- Drain all the buttermilk thoroughly.
- Add all the ingredients of the marinade to the chicken and mix well. Leave the chicken to marinate for a minimum of 1/2 hour.
- In a big bowl mix the flour, corn flour and salt well.
- Take the buttermilk in another bowl.
- In a pan place the oil for frying on medium heat.
- Take a chicken lollypop and dip it well into the flour mixture to get
- Do this for all the pieces.
- Once the oil is hot enough, deep fry the chicken on medium flame; do not fry on high flame as doing so might leave the chicken uncooked from inside.
- Serve hot with schezwan sauce; or you can dig into them just as it is!
For serving : For a twist in the flavour dip the fried chicken lollypop into your choice of sauce just before serving . I had mixed 2 tbsp of tomato sauce with 1 tbsp of schezwan sauce and 1 tsp of finely chopped coriander to make the dipping sauce. Although the lollypops are great all by themselves!!
Tip: Soaking the chicken lollypop's in buttermilk will ensure that your chicken lollypop's turn out tender from inside when you fry them. I have coated the chicken with flour twice; this will ensure a crisp outer covering.
You might also want to try : Tangdi kulfi kabab, Crispy chicken in hot and sweet sauce, Chicken tikka lollypops.